This has been a rare but nice week. Drew is doing one of his hardest rotations and yet, somehow, he has been around a lot. It's probably due to the fact that he was on-call a lot and whenever he's on-call, he gets the next day off whether or not they need him at the hospital all night. Caleb has been basking in his father's attention and I've been loving having Drew around to share in some of Caleb's energy!! We are definitely in the middle of the terrible two's right now. Caleb has a very strong will power and is starting to fight me on various, random things. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the things he chooses to go to battle over. It's very frustrating. One minute he'll be happy and running around and the next, he's telling me "NO!" and stomping his feet. I know. I was warned this would come. I just didn't think that it would be quite so...I don't know how to describe it other than to say, frustrating! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my son. It's just that sometimes, when he's in the midst of a tantrum, I wonder- 'where has my adorable and lovable son gone???'
Enough of that!! Now I'll tell you some of the cute things that Caleb is up to these days. He is starting to play pretend, which is great! It's so fun to watch him as he toddles around the kitchen pulling out various bowls, spoons and measuring cups, telling us he's making us some "hot soup" or an "ice cream cone" that is just "lummy, lummy" (translation: yummy, yummy). He also loves to help cook dinner, wash the dishes, and play with the vacuum (yes, the actual vacuum and no, it's not plugged in- and yes, it has fallen down the stairs once...oops!). A lot of this is practice for Drew and me in patience because although
cooking and cleaning end up taking more time to finish when he's helping, it's awesome that he wants to help out so much! Caleb is very, very good at picking up his toys and putting them in the toy bins when he's asked to. He even did it all by himself today after lunch without being asked. He loves, loves, loves to read books and has started "reading" books to himself which is really sweet to see. He also likes singing songs and 9 times out of 10 when he and I are driving in the car somewhere, the radio or music is off and he and I are belting out songs together! I love it. For as much frustration as Caleb brings in to my life, he brings me at least twice as much joy and love, if not more. I'll just keep praying that I survive the terrible two's!!!
11.13.2007
Dad and the terrible two's!
Posted by
Mamu Lou
at
8:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You'll survive the terrible two's. You just have to take it one day at a time and take A LOT of deep breaths!!! Just know that most people can understand what you are going through. Good Luck!!!
He's such a cute little guy! I sure know what you mean about it being hard when their moods are so changeable. And yes, you will get through it, not always brilliantly, but you will.
I'm glad you guys have been able to spend more time together as a family. Hopefully we can get together and play games after Thanksgiving. Oh, and I am hoping I'll be able to make it to scrapbooking, but Will is home sick so I'll have to see how he's doing. Love, Christy.
What a stinker. You and Drew are amazing parents and you will look back and laugh at this. I learned to recognize when I have had enough. Sometimes you need to take yourself away for a time out to gather yourself. I am glad you have had the help from Drew. It sounds like Caleb is changing so much every day. Call me if you need to vent. Love you!
What a sweet boy - I really miss him. He has such an amazing little personality. Even though he can be stubborn at times, he can also be even more funny and adorable. I have to laugh when I read some of your experiences because I can remember a little brown haired girl who was also a little stubborn but very very cute! Mom
Drew and Laura - Caleb is darling!! It is so fun to be able to see what is going on in your lives! Aren't you done with school yet?????? Do you keep in touch with anyone from High School??
Trisha (Locke)
Laura,
Hey this is Lisa (Holbrook) Houtz. I found your blog (while blog hopping) on Danielle's blog.
I agree that the “terrible twos” are hard. Even though Hailey just turned 3, she's still going through them. Why are they called the “terrible twos” anyway? Hailey has had the "terrible twos" since she was 18 months until now!
Anyway, I have a blog also. So, come visit anytime: thehoutzes.blogspot.com
Take care,
Lisa
I know what you mean exactly! Just today I had to fight to get j's clothes and shoes on and finally had to just walk away for a minute. It's a good thing Caleb and Jonas are so stinkin cute right? At the end of the day they look so sweet and innocent sleeping in their crib. They just have a lot to learn right now.
Post a Comment