7.24.2008

Goodbye Bob, Hello Woody!

For those of you that know Caleb well, you are probably aware that for the past year or so he has loved Bob the Builder. The show, the toys, and anything else that has to do with construction. He's still pretty obsessed with construction stuff. Our road was recently repaved and he loved watching the workers with their machines. Drew even took him out one day to talk to the construction workers. Drew told them how much Caleb loved construction. Their response? "That's nice but please tell him to stay in school."

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, I decided to put the movie 'Toy Story' in to see how long it would keep Caleb's interest. That was the beginning of the end for poor Bob. Since then, Caleb has seen the 'Toy Story' more than I'd like to admit. We usually watch part of it one day and then finish it another day. It got even better (or is it worse?) when I pulled out 'Toy Story 2' for him to watch during an appointment when we couldn't find a sitter on short notice. He was in heaven- there was more to the Woody and Buzz Lightyear saga? He's now singing songs from the movie (that Drew very kindly downloaded onto our computer) and he'll also frequently yell out a random quote from the movie.
Being the oh-so-creative mom that I am, I decided I could use this new obsession to help the potty training along. I got online and ordered some little Toy Story toys as rewards. For every 5 stickers he gets on his potty chart (one for peeing and two for pooping), he earns a new toy (previously we were using cars). The toys arrived in the mail about 1 1/2 hours ago and he's already earned one. The only question I have is this- what do I do when I run out of toys?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I must say that I personally like Toy Story 2 much more than Toy Story. Maybe cause there is a girl as a main character (ya, know the whole I have girls and that tends to be a "boy" movie), or because I like the story line more (Syd, if my memory works I think that's the kids name, and all the strange creations he made scared Hailey in Toy Story).

Anyway, isn't it funny how fast kids can adopt something new? It's like, and this is going to sound like Hailey did nothing but watch TV, which wasn't the case but, it's like when she LOVED Blue's Clues and then one day she LOVED Dora and wanted nothing to do with Blue's Clues! Aren't kids a wonder?

Good luck potty training!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to know that it is not just my children that get OBSESSED about toys. Ok, ok, mostly Zach... but still. So far he has hit the trains and then the dino's. Not sure what is next. Now, does TV count? Because if it does then that trumps anything I previously wrote. Yup, definitely, T.V.

Russ and Emily Christman said...

I love the stage where kids find their nitch. I knew something would be coming here soon for Cub. He is growing up so fast. That pix is really cute too.

Valerie said...

SO glad he is getting the potty training down - Love you Cub.