8.25.2009

The First Night

(This is Drew, by the way - the blog is still in my iron grip!!!)


Well, we survived night number 1. And since I know everyone is terribly concerned about my experience and comfort throughout this time, I will start with me: the bed/bench thingy in the post-partum room is pretty comfy - much more so than the chair/bed thingy at Vanderbilt when Caleb was born. I slept pretty well except when it was feeding time, but was able to fall back asleep immediately. So overall, for me, it was a decent night.

As for Laura, it was OK as well. She wanted to keep the babies in the room with us overnight, but Ian was making too many of those "cute newborn noises" and was keeping Laura up, so off to the nursery they went! She was able to sleep then as well. The babies were brought in several times overnight, and attempted to nurse, but Ian was only interested once and Bryce was completely disinterested. Fortunately, the RN's had told us that in the first 24 hours, the boys might be too sleepy to be interested in nursing, so we didn't get too worried. Laura still gave it a good college try, but to no avail. So off to the nursery they went. At about 6 AM, they came in and we got a nurse to try to help them nurse (this may get confusing), and she worked with Laura and the boys and got them both on for about 10 minutes. Bryce is the one that has been less interested, but I'm sure that that will change.

The other event of the night was Laura passing out.....again. That's just something she does after deliveries, apparently. She's fine, but if anyone wants to be funny and send her some ammonia products, please go ahead!

We have had breakfast and are just hanging out now. The boys will be coming in shortly, and will hopefully be awake and interactive (well, as interactive as newborns can be!). They were both circumcised this morning and did not make a peep, per the pediatrician. Their exams were perfectly normal, they have both lost 2 ounces, and should be OK to go home with us tomorrow. Yay! We will have some visitors today, and plan on a low-key day. They are so darn cute and we love holding them, listening to them, and just spending time saying often stupid, meaningless stuff in lilting voices to them.

Lastly, there's the question of what kind of twins they are. All pregnancy, we were told that they were identical and had the same placenta. Yet at the birth, the OB thought that there were 2 placentas and they looked somewhat different. Now, I'd probably look different if my head and face were smashed through....well, you know where I'm going with this. After the birth, we think they often look quite similar, yet other times they look different. We found out this morning that they are both blood type B (I'm O and Laura's AB, so they had a 50% chance of being the same blood type if they are fraternal), which lends itself to the possibility they are identical. Pathology will examine the placenta and may be able to tell us if it is officially one or two. It may take genetic testing to get the final ruling, though, so I think we'll wait a few days and see if they look the same! We will welcome input when I get pictures up.

Finally, pictures. I have tried 2 different web-browsers from our new laptop and can't get Blogger to upload pictures to the blog. I think I will be heading home later today, so I should be able to get some up this afternoon. I know everyone is dying to see them - I just didn't think the new laptop would be so......difficult.

More to come later!

3 comments:

Toes on the Nose said...

So glad they are here! We need pictures though - have you tried loading to facebook? How intereseting that they may not be identical afterall.

Holly said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures.

ChristyLou said...

Fun post, again! It was great seeing the little ones this evening (and the rest of the fam too, hehehe). Caleb went right to sleep, btw. He's a darling...we had a really fun talk about planets, the solar system, and moons on the way home. He sure is a smart kiddo. See you all tomorrow!!